The Rose Garden is on the corner of the junction of Babbacombe Road and Babbacombe Downs Road. Many pass by this little garden without realising it is a public area not a private garden.
The Rose Garden was once part of Doctor Herbert Chilcote's residence "Charlwood"; he lived there from 1869 until his death in 1886. We have placed a brief history on a notice board near the steps. The house is now the Woodland Park Nursing Home.
The garden consists of two sections;
One shaded by tall pine and beech trees where one can sit on a sunny day in the cool. Ferns, foxgloves, English bluebells and hellebores have been planted along with a mixture of other Spring bulbs in the shaded borders. The sunnier borders a mixture of shrubs and sustainable flowering plants including: roses, rosemary, fuchsias, salvias and euphorbia. To name just a few.
The other a sunnier ornamental garden with shrubby borders alongside rose, flower and grass beds, also a lawn surrounded by roses and fuchsias.